Saturday, July 21, 2007

Adventures at the Zoo

OK, so I'm going to make this a quick post, since we're over at friends' house and I really should be chatting instead of blogging. However, since we no longer have David and Erin's place to connect with, I wanted to at least get something on here while we're over here tonight.

I think I'll just go ahead with the pictures. Of course, in the first one, Steven is enjoying the taste of Dad's sock. A nice treat for him, if not the healthiest.

One of our biggest adventures since we last posted was a trip to the zoo with B's language helper. Her name is Dina (I'm not sure how to spell it in English, but probably none of you know the difference), and she's really great. Anyway, last Wednesday night, she called us up and took us to the zoo. It was fantastic, since it proved a really good way to easily get new vocabulary (you don't need any confusing verb constructions to say, "What is this animal?" "This is a duck."). Good time, and we took lots of photos so we could ask again later for the vocab for each new animal.

I was so happy to see some South American animals, which made me feel right at home. Dina wasn't sure about my approach to most of them, though. ("These are really tasty!") Here I'm standing with a yummy-looking tapir.

Dina took this nice shot of the family straddling a sculpture of a walrus. I'm not sure why, but it's an interesting shot at least.

OK, so last week's What Is It feature was a little easier, and a couple of people were close. Carroll guessed twice, but one of her guesses, the bird house, was right. It is indeed an interesting bird house, but technically Lourens, who guessed that it was "most definitely a wooden thing with holes in and a pointed top," was also right. Kellie gets the points, though, for guessing it right in only one guess. This week, we have a Russian word that we saw for you to guess. I'll give you a hint - we did take this at the zoo. Give it your best shot at what this says, but no cheating by looking it up on the internet!