Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


Yep, it's Christmas. My favorite time of year. That is why I'm writing this blog. J will do good to remember to say Merry Christmas at all (poor boy). Our tree is up, our decorations are all over the apartment (although J did have to restrain me from buying more). It is so nice to see decorations up all over the city. I don't have pictures yet so I might post those later (and yes, there will be another Christmas blog).

For now I will just tell you what we have been up to. After our late Thanksgiving party, we settled back into our language studies and normal life. A few weeks ago a woman I know asked me if I would be willing to make some Christmas cookies for a party our family group was having. Of course I said yes! But I had to remember my promise to J that I would not go crazy in my Christmas baking this year. So I was stuck only making peppermint fudge, peppermint chocolate, peanut butter fudge (thanks mom), Russian Tea Cakes, and (of course) Christmas cookies. Nope. I didn't go crazy. Right?

But my instincts were right, as it turns out. When I arrived to help set up for the party, Connie (the woman who asked me to make cookies and the organizer of the party) was frazzled because she forgot her 250 cookies at her house. But, I saved the day with my many, many treats! When she saw it, she sighed in relief and thanked me for what I did. So, I guess I will have to always go crazy in my cooking because I just might save the day again. In fact, I'm sure she would have had a heart attack if I didn't show up with my treats. You could definitely say that I saved her life. So, in retrospect, it's clear - my cooking saves lives!. So, it only seems logical that I must always cook more because it just might save another life. Right?

I know. I might be a bit delusional, but a girl can dream, can't she? Anyway, J stayed home with the boys so I was able to enjoy the party without any interruptions (I have the best husband). I needed the break as Steven has officially entered the terrible twos. HELP! My beautiful, perfect son has been abducted and a something scary has taken his place. He does it all: scream until he turns purple, kicks, stomps his feet, throw himself on the floor.... the works. Any suggestions? We have tried it all: spanking, talking to him, holding him, spanking, time-outs, spanking. Nothing seems to help. Is this normal? I always thought children who act like this were spoiled. We are pretty strict with him but always try to show our love to him. Anyway, I'm open if you have any suggestions.

OK. Moving back to happier topics: CHRISTMAS! I fixed my first batch of eggnog yesterday and it was delicious (thanks, Gudrun, for the recipe). I'm also trying to fit in with the Russian culture as much as possible. I've decided to learn some of the Russian Christmas carols. The following is of me singing (or I should say trying to sing) a popular children's Christams song. Forgive me for hurting your ears. I messed up a few times but it was the best video I could get, so enjoy:



This is how it's supposed to sound, as performed by Дед Мороз and Снегурочка (Father Frost and the Snow Maiden):



Here's Steven in full "meltdown mode":

One of our few snowy days so far this year:


And just some cutesy Christmas pictures for your enjoyment:

So, that's about it for this week. Hope you have a great week and a Merry Christmas, and we'll see you again next week!